Amish Never-Fail Meringue Recipe Won't Let You (or the Pie) Down by 30Seconds Food
Do you never have success making meringue for pies or other desserts? This no-fail meringue recipe is from an Amish cookbook and it "cuts beautifully and never gets sticky." We like the sound of that, as will many novice and experienced bakers! We're fairly confident that the Amish know how to bake, so have no doubt this meringue will be your go-to recipe when baking.
This is what you'll need to make this never-fail gluten-free Amish meringue recipe: cornstarch, cold water, boiling water, egg whites, granulated sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt. First mix together the cornstarch and cold water in a pot on the stovetop. Add the boiling water and cook until clear and thickened. Turn off the heat and cool the mixture completely. While it cools, beat the egg whites until foamy (the Amish do this by hand, but you can use an electric mixer). Gradually add the sugar, salt and vanilla. The last step is to drizzle in the cooled cornstarch mixture and beat well.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 8 (enough for 1 pie)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- This recipe makes enough for one pie.
- You could whisk this meringue together by hand like the Amish do, but an electric mixer makes the job so much easier.
Here's how to make it:
- Whisk together the cornstarch and cold water in a saucepan. Add the boiling water and cook, stirring, until clear and thickened. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy with an electric mixer (or whisk by hand). Gradually add in the sugar and beat until stiff. Add the salt and vanilla.
- Slowly starting beating in the cooled cornstarch mixture. Beat well.
Here's how to use it:
- Spread the meringue over your cooled pie filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 0g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrate: 10.1g
Dietary Fiber: 0g
Total Sugars: 9.2g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.