Creamy Baked Cottage Cheese Casserole With Spinach & Feta Cheese by Elisa Schmitz
It's official: I'm obsessed with cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is an ingredient from my childhood that I didn't think much of then. But now, as an adult who's always looking to boost nutrition in the meals I make, rediscovering cottage cheese has made it easy to get more protein and calcium along with the other health benefits of cottage cheese.
This easy baked cottage cheese casserole features two more of my favorite ingredients: spinach and feta cheese. Everyone knows about the health benefits of spinach, but did you know that feta cheese is one of the healthiest cheeses you can eat? Not to mention the taste, so good!
Spinach and feta cheese are a delicious combination, and I put them together in my easy Mediterranean spinach feta casserole recipe. But this recipe has fewer ingredients (no heavy whipping cream!), less spice and is baked in a smaller pan, making it ideal for when you're feeding fewer people.
Here's your shopping list for this gluten-free casserole: fresh spinach, red bell pepper, cottage cheese, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, onion, olive oil and garlic. You cook the onions, garlic, red pepper and spinach in the olive oil until tender. All of the ingredients are then mixed together, poured into a casserole dish and baked until golden.
This vegetarian casserole recipe is an amazing side dish for any type of dinner. Similar to a crustless quiche recipe, you also can serve it for breakfast or brunch, or as a light lunch or dinner with your favorite proteins. I served it with a slice of salmon on top. Yum!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: American / Mediterranean
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 to 45 minutes (ovens vary)
Total Time: 50 to 55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 12 ounces fresh baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Aluminum Foil
- Airtight Containers
- 8x8-inch Baking Pan
- I used a red bell pepper, but you can use a yellow or orange bell pepper, if desired. Make ahead if you are meal planning, and refrigerate for up to four days.
- For best results, allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
Here's how to make it:
- In a large saucepan, add the olive oil, onion, garlic and red pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir to combine. Remove from heat. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cheeses and the eggs. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the cheese mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour the combined mixture into a 8x8-inch casserole dish that's been sprayed with cooking spray or lined with aluminum foil.
- Place baking dish in a preheated 350-degree F oven and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until it's set and cooked through. Dish should be golden brown and solid throughout.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 12.5g
Saturated Fat: 5.3g
Total Carbohydrate: 8.1g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8g
Total Sugars: 2.5g
Vitamin D: 5mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.