Old-Fashioned Potato, Sausage & Cheese Casserole Recipe Never Gets Old by 30Seconds Food
This easy, delicious casserole recipe is also known as Jolean's potato casserole, and it dates back to at least the 1970s. The name might be spelled differently, but we still think Dolly Parton (one of her most popular songs of all time is Jolene) would approve of this down-home, country sausage and potato casserole recipe.
Here's your simple shopping list for this super cheesy casserole: potatoes, smoked sausage, butter, flour, milk, Velveeta cheese, sharp cheddar cheese and smoked paprika.
You can serve this creamy casserole recipe for dinner with a side of vegetables or a salad. This hearty casserole recipe also works well for brunch or breakfast (and we're pretty sure that, after tasting this, no one will ever take your man).
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound Velveeta cheese, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Dishes
- Mixing Bowl
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Aluminum Foil
- Baking Pan
- Pepper Grinder
- You can make this recipe with smoked sausage or your favorite sausage.
- You can add more or less paprika, depending on your tastes.
- If you want this recipe to be gluten-free, use gluten-free flour.
- Serve on its own or with a salad or vegetables.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days and reheat in the microwave.
- This recipe can be frozen for up to three months.
- Try listening to Jolene while you cook this recipe!
Here's how to make it:
- Boil the potatoes until just tender. Cool.
- Cook the sausage in a skillet until lightly browned, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Put the cooked potatoes and sausage into a casserole dish.
- To the skillet, add the butter, flour and milk. Whisk until smooth, then add the Velveeta cheese. Cook on low heat until melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the cheese sauce over the sausage and potatoes. Toss gently to combine.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and paprika. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until top is browned.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 31.6g
Saturated Fat: 14.6g
Total Carbohydrate: 18.1g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6g
Total Sugars: 5.5g
Vitamin D: 5mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.