Coronavirus & Holiday Celebrations: 5 Tips to Help Plan a Safe, COVID-free Holiday Season by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
As the holiday season approaches, many are wondering how to protect themselves and their families from COVID-19 while still enjoying the season. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and health-care providers are asking patients to consider avoiding large gatherings and meals shared inside with family and friends who have traveled near and far to celebrate. This doesn’t mean it’s time to cancel Thanksgiving, Christmas, Kwanzaa or halt Hanukkah.
Nurse practitioners and health-care providers are joining with the CDC in recommending ways you can safely enjoy this holiday season:
- Try to keep your holiday meals limited to a small gathering of people in your household.
- Prepare a meal consisting of traditional family recipes for family or neighbors who you would normally celebrate with – especially those at a higher risk of illness from COVID-19 – and deliver it to them in a way that doesn’t involve contact or breaking social distancing guidelines.
- Arrange a virtual dinner and share recipes with family or friends.
- Host a small dinner held outside with appropriate social distancing and masks if you are willing to consider a moderate-risk holiday.
- Do your Black Friday shopping online rather than in the stores to maintain social distancing and avoid risk of exposure to COVID-19.
The holiday season is also a time when people travel longer distances to gather with family and friends. Travel increases your risk of exposure to COVID-19. If you can’t avoid travel, be sure to follow the CDC guidelines to reduce your risk.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.