Work With Toxic People? 7 Ways to Shield Yourself From Negativity in the Workplace by Mindy Hudon, M.S., CCC-SLP
If you work in an environment free of toxic people, you’re a lucky employee. Working with toxic people on a day-to-day basis can drain the life out of you! Toxic people cause an environment full of negativity, stress and uncertainty making you feel powerless. The funny thing is that these people think that we’re the problem, but in actuality they’re the cause.
Beware because toxicity spreads like a virus and will eventually lead to frequent staff turnover. It’s either find a new job or protect yourself from the toxic behavior.
- Avoid interacting with toxic people by limiting your exposure to them, if possible.
- Minimize your contact by asking to be reassigned or move your work station.
- Limit your communication to business only.
- Set firm boundaries and say no to unreasonable demands.
- Practice using a few good mantras if needed: “I am uncomfortable with how you’re communicating with me.”
- Take notes about your encounters in case you need to contact management.
- You don’t need to explain yourself. If you don’t want to talk say, “I’m sorry, but I am busy right now.”
Grab your armor and shield yourself from toxic people!
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.