Quinoa Broccoli Cheese Casserole Recipe: A Side Dish Recipe You Don't Want To Lose by Donna John
This quinoa broccoli cheese casserole recipe has been in my recipe box for years and years. I can't count the number of times I made this side dish for dinner. This cheesy casserole was a family favorite. Somehow, it got pushed to the bottom of the box and overlooked for a long time. Well, that changed this week when I made it for dinner – just because. Just because it is an absolutely delicious broccoli cheese casserole that is gluten-free, has the health benefits of quinoa and is healthier than broccoli rice casserole (though we love those, too!).
You only need seven easy ingredients to make this quinoa casserole. Here is what you need to grab: quinoa, fresh broccoli, a can of cream of broccoli soup, mayonnaise, milk, colby-jack cheese and Parmesan cheese. The cream of broccoli soup is the game changer in this side dish casserole recipe. It adds a huge punch of broccoli flavor and a mega creaminess factor. After trying this recipe, it will be a staple in your pantry.
The quinoa and broccoli can cook at the same time, so that reduces cooking time. Serve this broccoli cheese casserole as a side dish with dinner or at your Thanksgiving or Christmas gathering with that turkey or ham. Give this one a shot. I guarantee you won't regret it.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3/4 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups cooked chopped broccoli (see Recipe Notes)
- 1 can (10 ounces) cream of broccoli soup (see Recipe Notes)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons milk
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated colby-jack cheese (divided)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Mesh Strainer
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Dishes
- Rubber Spatula
- Mixing Bowl
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Airtight Containers
- Pepper Grinder
- I steamed the broccoli and then chopped into smaller pieces. You could also roast or boil the broccoli until tender.
- When the quinoa is cooked, you will see a white ring or tail. Do not overcook. You do not want mushy quinoa.
- I couldn't find cream of broccoli soup at a local grocery store, so I ordered it through Amazon. However, many grocery stores do carry it.
- You can use cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack or even gruyere cheese instead of colby-jack. For a spicy kick, try pepper-jack cheese.
- You can double this recipe and cook it in a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- The casserole reheats nicely in the microwave.
- You can use reduced-fat cheese and reduced-fat mayonnaise.
- Evaporated milk can be used in place of whole milk.
Here's how to make it:
- Rinse the quinoa in a mesh strainer. Put it into a saucepot with the water and a little salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook about 18 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- While the quinoa cooks, cook the broccoli until tender. Chop into smaller pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the cream of broccoli soup, mayonnaise, milk, 1 1/4 cups of the shredded cheese and black pepper, to taste.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa and chopped broccoli.
- Pour the mixture into a greased shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese and Parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until bubbly and the edges are beginning to brown.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 14.8g
Saturated Fat: 6.3g
Total Carbohydrate: 23.1g
Dietary Fiber: 2.6g
Total Sugars: 2.6g
Vitamin D 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.