Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole Recipe (They'll Beg for More) by Heather Holter
My version of ramped up Minnesota Tater Tot Hotdish was so popular and adored by everyone I have served it to, I wanted to make a chicken bacon ranch version for a twist. The first try was so delicious, but too complicated because I used ranch dressing and I had to make a roux for the sauce. This step adds time and effort, so it's not a time-friendly recipe, as I am known for. Easy is everything when you have all these kids!
This time I tried something new and the tater tot casserole was so delicious and much easier to make. This chicken bacon ranch tater tot casserole recipe has just a few ingredients. Here is your shopping list: tater tots, chicken, bacon, cheese, sour cream, a ranch seasoning packet and evaporated milk. No sauce to make, just layer ingredients in a casserole and bake!
Everyone here loved it and we ate the entire tater tot casserole! You can add vegetables such at corn and onion, but for this one I kept it simple. Serve this delicious tater tot casserole for dinner with your favorite side dishes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 1 bag (32 ounces) frozen tater tots
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken (I used four chicken breasts cooked in a skillet)
- 8 slices cooked, coarsely chopped bacon (reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 packet (1 ounce) dry ranch seasoning
- 1 can (14 ounces) evaporated milk
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Dishes
- Mixing Bowl
- Aluminum Foil
- 13x9-inch Baking Pan
- Glass Measuring Cup
- Substitute precooked bacon and butter to save time.
- Substitute canned chicken to save time.
- Add a layer of canned corn or another vegetable over chicken, if desired.
- If there are a few lumps on top from the ranch packet that's OK! Just spread it around a bit.
- I did not use spices at all because the ranch is everything! Trust me.
- This tater tot casserole is great for potlucks.
Here's how to make it:
- Use 2 tablespoons bacon grease (or butter if you are using precooked bacon) to coat a skillet. Toss chicken in this bacon grease. Add a cup of sour cream and toss with the chicken until incorporated well.
- In a casserole dish put a layer of tater tots, about half the bag.
- Layer chicken over the tater tots.
- Layer 1 cup of cheddar cheese over chicken.
- Layer chopped bacon over cheese. Layer the remaining tater tots on top of bacon. Top will remaining cup of cheddar cheese.
- Whisk ranch packet into evaporated milk.
- Pour ranch sauce over the cheese.
- Bake, covered, in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let sit for 5 minutes, uncovered, and serve.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 40.2g
Saturated Fat: 17.9g
Total Carbohydrate: 33.8g
Dietary Fiber: 2.7g
Total Sugars: 5.5g
Vitamin D: 3mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.