Fennel Gratin Casserole Recipe: A Delicious Way to Go Blue Zone by 30Seconds Food
If you're watching Live to 100: Secrets of the Blue Zones on Netflix, you may be inspired to find new friends, go to church, walk uphill, drink herbal tea and make Blue Zone recipes, among other things. Fennel is a Blue Zone herb and one that's often overlooked while scavenging the produce department. One bite of this cheesy fennel gratin recipe and that will change.
If you want to try this cheesy baked vegetable dish, here is your shopping list: fennel, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, fresh thyme and mozzarella. That's it. The fennel bakes in the oven for about 20 minutes covered, then is uncovered and bakes about 15 minutes more.
Why not surprise your family with this easy fennel recipe this week? Who knows, it may help you live to be 100!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 50 minutes
- 3 - 4 large fennel bulbs (from about 3 pounds with fronds), sliced
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- To make cleanup easier, line your baking dish with parchment paper.
- Use a mandoline slicer to make cutting the fennel easier.
- You can use reduced-fat cheese for this recipe.
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the sliced fennel in salted, boiling water for about 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Combine the Parmesan, breadcrumbs and thyme in a bowl. Add half of the mixture to the fennel and toss to combine. Pour the fennel into an oiled casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and remaining breadcrumb mixture. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover and bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for about 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 3.3g
Saturated Fat: 1.6g
Total Carbohydrate: 11.8g
Dietary Fiber: 3.1g
Total Sugars: 0.4g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.