30-Minute Shortcut Mardi Gras King Cake Recipe Is Worth Celebrating by Holly Budde
A king cake is a sweet vanilla cake with a sweet filling. A small plastic baby is baked into the cake, and whoever gets it is considered lucky and sometimes wins a prize. An authentic king cake can take a lot of time to bake for dessert. If you're like me and don't have the time, you need to try this shortcut king cake recipe I came up with.
The king cake is made with refrigerated crescent rolls, butter, cinnamon, cream cheese and powdered sugar. A simple two-ingredient glaze – powdered sugar and vanilla – is poured over the baked and cooled cake. Simple! Decorate with yellow, green and purple sprinkles and you have a festive cake worthy of celebrating.
Make your Mardi Gras a little sweeter with this easy king cake recipe. This simple king cake recipe will make you a genius Mardi Gras cake baker in 30 minutes. No one will care how easy it was to bake after they taste it.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 to 30 minutes
- 1 can (8 count) refrigerated crescent rolls
- ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 box (16 ounces) powdered sugar (divided)
- Yellow Sprinkles
- Green Sprinkles
- Purple Sprinkles
- Mardi Gras Beads
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Baking Sheet
- Rubber Spatula
- Mixing Bowl
- Airtight Containers
- Store the cake in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Be careful serving this cake to small children. Beads and embellishments can be a choking hazard.
Here’s how to make it:
- Unroll the crescent rolls into one piece. Press together the seams to seal.
- Mix a paste of butter and cinnamon and spread over the dough.
- In a bowl mix together half a box (approximately 8 ounces) of powdered sugar and the softened cream cheese. Drop by teaspoons full on top of the butter mixture, making sure you have it evenly distributed. (You can also add a few teaspoon dollops of pie filling and/or nuts to this step if you want.)
- Roll the dough horizontally. Press the seams together and form a circle on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- While it’s baking, mix the remaining powdered sugar, the vanilla and enough warm water to make a thick glaze.
- Allow cake to cool, then spread the glaze heavily on the cake. Decorate with sprinkles and beads, of course!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 14g
Saturated Fat: 7.7g
Total Carbohydrate: 47.4g
Dietary Fiber: 5.3g
Total Sugars: 32.1g
Vitamin D: 1mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.