6-Ingredient Fresh Celery Leaf Pesto Recipe Turns Kitchen Scraps Into Scrumptiousness by Elisa Schmitz
I've been having a ton of fun growing plants from food scraps. One of my most recent successful projects is regrowing celery plants from the scraps at the bottom of the celery that you might normally throw away. My celery plants have been flourishing to the point that I can use the celery and leaves in my farm-to-table recipes, and the fresh flavor is making a huge difference in my cooking.
This easy six-ingredient fresh celery leaf pesto recipe turns those scraps into a scrumptious pesto that's perfect for pasta or pizza, or even as a delicious sandwich spread. All you need for this simple farm-to-table recipe are fresh celery leaves, Parmesan cheese, garlic, cashews, lemon juice and olive oil. You blend them all together and are rewarded with a tangy, flavorful pesto that's a nice change-up from basil pesto.
Serve this easy, delicious celery pesto over pasta for dinner, use it as a base on pizza crust or just spread it over slices of toasted bread for an amazing snack anytime. It's a healthy and refreshing sauce recipe the whole family will enjoy!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 3 cups fresh celery leaves, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup cashews (you could use pine nuts or almonds)
- juice of 1 lemon (fresh squeezed is best)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- You can toast the cashews if you like, but I used un-toasted, unsalted cashews.
- You can use other sweet, creamy nuts, such as almonds or pine nuts.
- I prefer to use fresh-squeezed lemon juice, but in a pinch, you can use bottled lemon juice.
- Serve right away, and store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days or so.
- If you have extra celery leaves, you can store them, unwashed, in an airtight container until you're ready to use them. Celery leaves can be used as salad greens, herb seasoning or just as garnish.
Here's how to make it:
- In a blender or food processor, combine the celery leaves, Parmesan cheese, garlic, cashews and lemon juice, Blend for 2 to 3 minutes, until you reach a fine-chopped consistency.
- Add in the olive oil and blend until you reach a creamy consistency. Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.